Overdenture Implants: Benefits, Drawbacks, & Cost
Looking to replace missing teeth? We know how difficult that can be. Without teeth, it can be nearly impossible to perform basic tasks like eating and speaking. If it wasn’t difficult enough to go without teeth, jawbones lose mass over time when people don’t replace their teeth. This causes those who have fallen victim to tooth loss, to age more quickly and gives their faces a sunken-in appearance. But on the other side, finding an affordable teeth replacement option can make the process tough to ever fix.
Southpointe Dental and your “dentist near me in Lincoln, NE,” understands this conundrum. That’s why we’ve made our teeth replacement options as affordable as possible, including the placement of overdenture implants.
If you know anyone that is embarrassed about losing their teeth or needs extensive improvement to their smile, please refer them to Dr. Brad Alderman for a Free Consultation at any of our Nebraska Family Dentistry locations.
Book Your Free Consultation 24/7 Online
Overdenture implants are an efficient teeth replacement method for anyone looking to replace multiple teeth. Our team of dentists in Lincoln, NE is experienced and ready to place your overdenture implants today. But before we talk about the benefits and drawbacks of overdentures, let’s learn a little more about what they are.
What are Overdenture Implants?
Overdenture implants are a set of dentures which are supported by implants. Overdenture implants are also often referred to as implant dentures, implant-retained dentures, or simply implants. When having overdentures placed, your “dentist near me in Lincoln, NE” or oral surgeon will place the implants first. They’ll give you some time to let them heal and become one with your jawbone. After this process, false teeth are placed on top of the implants, giving you a smile that looks and feels real. Overdenture implants can come as a fixed denture or as a removable denture. Both types of implant dentures are better than regular dentures as far as comfort, convenience, and overall health go. Once a person has implant dentures placed, they’ll need to take good care of them like with regular teeth. This means that patients with implants will simply brush and floss their new teeth.
Benefits of Overdenture Implants
- Stability Overdenture implants are much more stable than regular dentures, so you won’t have to worry about your denture falling out. If the denture is fixed, it will only be able to be removed by a dental professional. If they’re removable, you’ll take them out to clean them. In either case, they’ll be more stable than a conventional denture.
- Prevention of Bone Loss With implant-retained dentures, a person’s jawbone is supported by the implants. As a result, the patient’s face won’t change shape at all, unlike with conventional dentures. Because conventional dentures have no way of supporting a person’s jaw, they allow the lack of teeth to significantly impact the shape of a person’s face.
- No Teeth Falling Out Overdenture implants allow you to chew without the concerns of loud clacking or dentures falling out. Once the implant is secured, it will hold your teeth in place. Similarly, many people with conventional dentures must avoid foods that could damage the denture. With overdentures, this is not the case. The teeth are securely fastened to your jaw like real teeth, and thus can handle all kinds of foods.
- Long-Term Solution Overdenture implants are made of titanium. In almost every case, they’ll last your whole life. Take good care of your dentures at home to guarantee a lifelong smile. After a few short years, you won’t be dissatisfied with your results.
- Less Costly Than Other Teeth Replacements Conventional dentures often need repairing, especially with cheap dentures. Though it can be tempting to go out and find a set of cheap dentures, this often results in much more money being spent on them in the long-run. However, with overdenture implants, once they’re in, they’ll almost certainly last a lifetime without extraneous costs.
The Cost of Overdentures
Like with many other dental procedures, nailing down the exact cost of overdentures can be tricky. Instead of offering a price up front, we recommend setting up a free consultation at our office. This will allow our dentists in Lincoln, NE to tailor a treatment plan to your specific needs and offer a more accurate cost. Some consider the high cost of implant dentures the only major drawback. However, it’s important to note the costs of conventional dentures down the road. In many cases, the cost of conventional dentures is comparable to that of implants, due to repairs and replacements.
Frequently Asked Questions about Overdenture Implants answered by Dr. Sydney Joyce
What are the top picks for different types of dentures?
Overdenture implants are the ideal option for those without teeth. The implants will stabilize your dentures and prevent bone loss. Ultimately, implant dentures will also increase your confidence, since they look just like real teeth.
What is an excellent alternative to dentures?
An excellent alternative to dentures is a permanent hybrid prosthesis. Hybrid prosthesis uses several implants to support bridges over each implant site. This procedure also gives you a real smile that will last a lifetime.
Do dental implants hurt?
Most patients undergo sedation dentistry to have overdenture implants place. You can expect some discomfort after the procedure, but it should be minimal. If you have serious discomfort, however, you should re-visit your dentist in Lincoln, NE as soon as possible.
Can smokers have overdenture implants?
We recommend that patients quit smoking before receiving implant dentures. Smoking makes it very difficult for the gums to heal, which often causes implants to fail.
Schedule Day or Night
Schedule your dental appointment at anytime of the day or night with our online scheduling.
We have 7 Locations in Lincoln, NE!
- Lincoln Family Dentistry – Central Lincoln
- South Lincoln Family Dentistry – South Lincoln
- Northeast Lincoln Family Dentistry – Northeast Lincoln
- Preserve Family Dentistry – East Lincoln
- Coddington Dental – West Lincoln
- NorthStar Dental – North Lincoln
- SouthPointe Dental – Southwest Lincoln
- Emergency Dentist NE – Emergency Dental Care
- Lincoln Dental Plans – Affordable Dental Options
Nebraska Family Dentistry has Lincoln Dental clinics in all parts of Lincoln. Choose a “near me dentist” location that is convenient for you.