How Does a Night Guard Work?
Night guards are most commonly worn during the night, but they also can be worn during the day. Night guards not only allow free motion and relieve tension in the face muscles, but they equilibrate the bite.
Night guards are designed to be comfortable and allow for normal breathing. They are available in different shapes, materials, and sizes, and you and the dentist will determine which type best fits your needs.
Night guards makes a huge difference in the quality of sleep a person is getting and in their overall health.
Night guards are worn in order to:
- Keep the teeth from wearing down.
- If you grind your teeth while sleeping, consider wearing a night guard in order to avoid cracking your teeth, wearing them down, or causing gum recession.
- Improve breathing. A night guard is helpful in opening the airway, so it improves breathing and reduces snoring during sleep.
- Eliminate or reduce jaw pain.
- A night guard relaxes your face muscles so that their are less muscle contractions.
- The night guard creates a space between the top and bottom teeth so that tension in the jaw is minimized and the threat of TMJ disorder is stymied.
- Reduce popping and clicking of the jaw. The popping and clicking that occurs in the jaw can be reduced by wearing a night guard.
- If you do have this jaw disorder, using a night guard will help keep the mouth slightly open so that the jaw is not locked up. A reduced opening of the jaw is caused by muscle spasms, and this in turn causes jaw discomfort and pain.
- Protect the teeth during sport activities.
- Night guards are helpful during sports activities because they prevent the teeth from grinding and clenching together.
- Reduce stress.
- A night guard is useful when stress causes you to clench and grind your teeth. In this way, night guards can be needed when driving a car, having problems at work, or really anytime you experience a lot of tension.
Each NFD team member is trained to go above and beyond to keep our patients calm and comfortable, so you can expect the same exceptional care from all four of our sister locations.
Nebraska Family Dentistry has multiple locations!
Choose any location convenient for you.